About us‎ > ‎

St. Luke's Anglican Church - Temperance Vale

The history of the Anglican Church in Temperance Vale began with the Rev. A.W. Tippet in 1871 and then the Rev. Horatio Weeks in 1875 when the Rev. A.W. Tippet returned to England. By 1887 regular meetings were being held at the Union Meeting House.

The Anglican Church which stands today started with a $100.00 grant from the Fredericton Women’s Auxiliary. The architect was J.K. Pinder, with other work done by William Ferris. The church building was completed in 1889 and is the oldest of the Parish churches. The Rev. Scovil Neals was the rector of the time and he baptized 10 persons. The Bishop was Bishop John Medley.

The yellow steeple stands tall for all to see from miles around and is home to a delightful toned bell. The architecture is of the old Gothic style and is surrounded by several beautiful stained glass windows. Wonderful details and embellishments are coloured yellow and brown. The sanctuary was once adorned with chandeliers and glass oil lamps, some of which remain today.

During Thanksgiving you can always count on the church to be decorated with sheaves of grain, pumpkins and other harvest vegetables, a practice which is still enjoyed today. The people said they decorated to remind people who lucky they were to live where you can always be assured of a bountiful harvest.

Most of the original works of the church remain today, including the wooden pews and the stone font at the rear. The large stained glass windows above the altar were taken apart in 2004-2005 and restored to its original beauty by Yves Frigault with assistance from Doris Blaney. In 2009-2010, they also restored the west stained glass windows behind the font.

The church underwent a major renovation in 1983, when the building was raised and a basement was built underneath to house a hall for church functions. The Rev. David Mercer conducted a 100th Anniversary Celebration service on Sunday, November 5, 1989.

Many families have passed through the doors of St. Luke’s over the years and descendants of some of those families are in attendance on Sunday mornings while others are with us in spirit.