About us‎ > ‎

St. John's Anglican Church - Nackawic

St. John’s Anglican Church has an interesting history. The fourth church in the Parish of Queensbury, it was built between 1890 and 1892, on the property of George Ingraham in Bear Island, at the request of the Reverend William Tippett who served as Rector of the parish from November 1847-1872. It is noteworthy that his sons gave the beautiful stained glass window over the altar in memory of the Reverend William Tippett. At the time of the building of the church, The Reverend Scovil Neals was Rector.

The Minutes of the Corporation of the Parish of Queensbury of September 12, 1893 has the first mention of the Church of St. John the Divine: “Moved and seconded that the Church corporation of the Parish of Queensbury do sign a petition to the Right Reverend Hollingworth Tulley Kingdon, D.D., Bishop of the Diocese of Fredericton requesting that His Lordship do consecrate the Church which has been recently built at Bear Island.”

Because of the flooding of the Bear Island area due to the building of the Mactaquac Dam, the church was moved to Nackawic in November 1967, fully intact and with cables to prevent the walls from spreading, and placed on a basement which had been prepared on the site of approximately 2 acres, all at the expense of the NB Power Commission. The basement was finished with a kitchen with the counter and cupboards built from materials salvaged from the old Southampton High School that was also affected by the flooding of the land.

The first service in Nackawic was on February 11, 1968. St. John’s Church was newly dedicated on June 24, 1968. With seating capacity of only 80 people, it is the smallest of the four churches in the parish, but it plays an important part with its presence in the community.